Back to Mike's Reel Repair Main Page Mike's Reel Repair
Fishing forum to discuss everything relating to fishing and fishing gear.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Shop for PartsOrder Parts   Schematics
 RegisterRegister

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motorguide Trolling Motor Problem-please help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Motorguide Trolling Motor Problem-please help! Reply with quote

First-time poster, just found this site today.

Recently we sold our pontoon to friends. It was a 2002 Landau set-up for fishing. We used the bow-mounted Motorguide trolling motor ((XP4000) 12-volt, 43# thrust--once or twice about 5 years ago--perhaps a total of 10 minutes. (We also have a small fishing boat, so I used it for 99% of the fishing I do.)

This morning we found out that the motor was not working for our friends and was blowing fuses. Our friend's neighbor found that the motor was all rusted inside, and thus was locked up. Does anyone have an idea what would have caused this? I do not believe that the seals would have leaked due to fishing line, etc. as the motor was hardly used. Motor was always in the horizontal position. Our pontoon was both covered up and inside our dock, so it was never exposed to even the weather. I can only think of the possibility of rust due to humidity!

We want to do what is right for our friends and will repair or replace the motor. Thanks! Any advice is appreciated!
mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
It is possible that water, either by moisture, rain, or other, found it's way into the top end of the motor housing. From there it has a clear shot to the motor unit itself. Not sure if the manuals state it, but a trolling motor should not be left out in the weather when not in use.

Mike

www.mikesreelrepair.com
reelworks
smolt
smolt

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They most likely don't but I've seen a load of trolling motors that sat out and filled up with water. The handle area is not sealed and water can get right in.
I was even looking at a Riptide by Minnkota which is supposedly 'Saltwater Sealed" and even it will allow water inside the control head and down into the motor. The circuit board and switch are sealed from water contact with epoxy but the the tube is open to the motor and the control handle which slides, is open to the inside of the housing. This is on an older motor, I haven't had a newer one apart.
mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...same deal with the new motors too. Problem being that the motor needs to 'breathe' when it goes through it's normal heating and cooling cycles....
I had one customer seal the main tube with silicone sealer, which worked quite well until he actually USED the motor Wink Then the heat pushed the seals out and it leaked water once it cooled down (so I suspect).

www.mikesreelrepair.com
reelworks
smolt
smolt

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they need to be vented, then maybe adding a tube and vent to the underside of the top housing would be the ticket. Then you could seal up the tube with an expanding sealer and it would still be able to vent heat.

Another thing that comes to mind is how about bow mount motors which sit at rest on the deck laying on their sides. I would think that they would get all sorts of water inside either sitting or while underway in rougher conditions?
Sponsor
mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the vent tube would work out...just a bugger to work on (to UN seal it if need be, maybe? Is Minn Kota or Motorguide listening?? lol Wink

www.mikesreelrepair.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mike's Reel Repair Forum Index -> Motorguide All times are GMT + 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: